The bill is currently being discussed in the Senate Education Committee, on which Dinniman serves as Minority Chair. In January 2020, Rep. Melissa Shusterman (D, Chester/Montgomery) has agreed in principle to draft and sponsor New Voices legislation in the House of Representatives.
For the bill to become law, it must be taken up by and make it out of committees and pass floor votes in both houses of Congress before it would be sent to the governor’s desk.
PSPA has endorsed this bill, and we are excited to see its progress. Although progress is being made, we need your help, student journalists and advisers!
A few ways to help:
- Contact your legislators in the House and Senate, and ask for their support for New Voices. Not comfortable writing your own letter or pressed for time? No worries. We’ve got your back!
- Simply make a copy of THIS FORM LETTER
- Edit the highlighted text with your specific information. Click HERE to find your legislators.
- Legislators love to hear from engaged students! Encourage your students to write and send similar letters.
- Share THIS LETTER with your students—written by Pennsylvania students for Pennsylvania students seeking New Voices support.
- Connect with us on social media!
- Twitter: @PaVoices
- Instagram: @newvoicespa
- Visit us online: www.newvoicespa.com
- Join us and learn other ways to get involved with Pennsylvania’s New Voices movement! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.