For local high school journalists, the quest to become a state champion commenced once again when the Pennsylvania School Press Association opened its fifth annual regional Student Journalism Contests (SJCs). On October 19, 111 journalism students and advisers from northwest Pennsylvania traveled to Penn State Behrend for a morning of learning and competition.
At each of the annual regional SJCs through Pennsylvania, experienced judges evaluate students’ journalistic work produced for on-site and carry-in contests in newspaper, yearbook, literary magazine, and broadcast categories. PSPA invites finalists in each category to attend the state finals at Penn State’s University Park campus on March 27, 2019.
Each SJC also involves educational workshops for student participants. In the opening session of the Penn State Behrend event, PSU Behrend Lecturer Karrie Bowen interviewed three students from Saegertown High School who obtained press passes to cover President Donald Trump’s October 10 rally in Erie, Pa. Students and teachers also attended other educational sessions during throughout the morning.
“We had nearly one-third more competitors than last year, making for a very intense competition,” contest organizer and PSPA Board Member Dr. Jane Blystone said. “Penn State Behrend has been very welcoming to our competition, providing top-level speakers and judges as well as a beautiful space for our regional competition for the past four years.”
PSPA congratulates the 16 finalists listed below who will move forward to the state competition at Penn State University Park in March.
- Broadcast Carry-In News Package – Kira Smith, McDowell High School
- Broadcast Carry-In Feature Package – Sami Deufel, McDowell High School
- Broadcast Writing – Sheena Byham, Saegertown High School
- News Writing - Natalie Sebunia, McDowell High School
- Feature Writing – Hannah Keil, Ft. LeBoeuf High School
- Sports Writing – Taylor Munce, Saegertown High School
- Editorial Cartoon – Morgan Radwick, Saegertown High School
- Editorial Writing – Dana Scharrer, General McLane High School
- Newspaper Carry-In Photography – Isabelle Southard, McDowell High School
- Literary Magazine Poetry (Tie) – Alyssa Baker, McDowell High School; Amanda Crowl, Saegertown High School
- Yearbook Caption Writing – Sarah Wakley, North East High School
- Yearbook Copy Writing – Dayna Woodruff, Saegertown High School
- Yearbook Sports Writing – Ali Smith, North East High School
- Yearbook Spread Design – Lauren Haylett, Saegertown High School
- Yearbook Carry-in Photos – Alexandra Law, McDowell High School