For local high school journalists, the quest to become a State Champion commenced once again when the Pennsylvania School Press Association opened up its fifth annual State Journalism Contests. On October 26, 25 students from central Pennsylvania traveled to St. Francis University in the hopes of advancing to the State Finals held at Penn State Main on March 27, 2019.
PSPA President Paul Fantaski expressed his appreciation for several aspects about the event.
“It just amazes me how institutions like St. Francis truly advocate and super-support journalism in Pennsylvania schools. On behalf of PSPA, I simply must thank Kelly Rhodes, Brent Ottoway, and the stellar journalism department of St. Francis for their willingness to host a SJC Regional on October 26. Most importantly, 12 student journalists from outstanding central PA schools will advance to the State Championships.”
Contests involved literary design, photography, copywriting, sports-writing, editorial cartoon, broadcast media, and poetry talents. Only the top-scoring competitor in each Regional contest category qualified to attend the State Finals. PSPA proudly announces the following students as 2018-19 State Finalists:
- Alivia Melius - Yearbook Caption Writing - Tussey Mountain HS
- Madison Creed - Yearbook Copy Writing - New Day Charter School
- Quincy Steidle - Yearbook Sports Writing - State College HS
- Helena Haynes - Yearbook Spread Design - State College HS
- Sierra Hockenbury - Newspaper Feature Writing - State College HS
- Isabelle Snyder - Editorial Writing - State College HS
- Autumn Hoover - Literary Magazine Poetry - Tussey Mountain HS
- Emily Huey - Literary Magazine Stand-Alone Artwork - New Day Charter School
- Ella Simpson - Broadcast Writing - State College HS
- Katie Ache - Yearbook Photography - State College HS
- Kayla Shaw - Newspaper Photography - State College HS
- Grace Biddle - Broadcast Carry-In Feature Package- State College HS