PENNSYLVANIA (special) – For local high school journalists, the quest to become a State Champion commenced once again when the Pennsylvania School Press Association opened up its Third Annual State Journalism Contests. On October 11, nearly 40 students from central Pennsylvania traveled to Harrisburg Area Community College in the hopes of advancing to the State Finals held at Penn State Main on March 29, 2017. PSPA President Paul Fantaski expressed his appreciation for several aspects about the event.
“It just amazes me how colleges like Harrisburg Area Community truly advocate and super-support journalism in Pennsylvania schools. I’d like to offer a heartfelt thanks to GIANT, Weis Markets, and Brown's Orchards & Farm Market for donating tasty breakfast items for all who attended. Additionally, thanks to Jostens, Herff Jones, York Daily Record, Fox 43, and ABC27 News for aiding in the education of our competitors. Most importantly, 12 student journalists from outstanding central PA schools will advance to the State Championships.”
Contests involved literary design, photography, copywriting, sports-writing, editorial cartoon, broadcast media, and poetry talents. Only the top-scoring competitor in each Regional contest category qualified to attend the State Finals. PSPA proudly announces the following students as 2016-17 State Finalists:
- Erica Shearer - Yearbook Caption Writing - Northeastern HS
- Hannah Bowders - Yearbook Copywriting - Central York HS
- Kate Moyer - Yearbook Sports Writing - Central York HS
- Ashley Gallagher - Yearbook Spread Design - Central York HS
- Lizabeth Miller - Newspaper Feature Writing - Central York HS
- Mohtaz Mahmuda - Editorial Writing - Central York HS
- Daniel Risser - Broadcast Writing - Central York HS
- Sarah Cutshall - Yearbook News Photos - Northeastern HS
- Kaylee Sheideigg - Yearbook Sports Photos - Central York HS
- Nathan Holtzinger - Newspaper Sports Photos - Central York HS
- Damon Faulkner - Broadcast News Package - Northeastern HS
- Parkes Harman - Broadcast Feature Package - Northeastern HS
The Pennsylvania School Press Association originated in 1925 and stands as one of the oldest scholastic journalistic organizations in the country. The group presently is headquartered in Manchester, PA and welcomes all to apply for membership. For details, visit www.paschoolpress.org.